[aprssig] Time to UPGRADE obsolete DIGIS!

Gerhard f5vag.eu at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 15:35:59 EDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 7:55 PM, Jan T. Pharo <la2bba at jpharo.net> wrote:

> Even if I think that one Worldwide system is the best, I have
> objections to the way standards are launched (i.e. by some
> individuals, or groups of individuals, rather than in the national or
> regional associations after suggestions from members). We hams have
> our IARU which should be the coordinating folks of such things. In
> many (most, I'd hope) of the national ham radio associations, the IARU
> region representatives are elected by the national boards, which are
> elected by the members, and thus are the members' representatives.

Jan,

You didn't hear me say that I am happy with the way how things
evolved.  In one country not far from me there is not even an official
APRS page on their club's site. Behind this the decision cycles of
the IARU R1 institutions with General Conference every three years.
There is no reason to be happy for me.

Being convinced that we need the standardization of a short path
in Europe, I collected the information I got from the APRS
communities and put it on one page. The tendency is very clear
and I have decided, just for me, to support it in view of a global
standard. We can't redo the past, maybe help the future.

> However, and to the map on your page, Gerhard:
> No, the green dot on Norway isn't true.
> Some use the WB4APR paradigm, some use R,T or R,Tn-N

If you want, I'll pull the green push pin out of Norway.You have
certainly seen my reference from the NRRL site. The only thing
I can read for sure on that page is "WIDEn-N" several times.
May be I should have quoted CT08 C5 33 NRRL "Common
standards for APRS".

--
73 de Gerhard, F5VAG / DL7MW
http://f5vag.eu, france.aprs2.net