[aprssig] Time to UPGRADE obsolete DIGIS!

Randy Allen ka0azs at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 9 15:10:52 EDT 2008

Jan T. Pharo wrote:
> Even if I think that one Worldwide system is the best, I have
> objections to the way standards are launched (i.e. by some
> individuals, or groups of individuals, rather than in the national or
> regional associations after suggestions from members).

The only problem with that theory is when the national organization
doesn't have a clue about what APRS is or how it operates.

That certainly seems to be the case in the US where it has been apparent
over the years that the ARRL as a whole (there are individual
exceptions) neither understands, nor cares, as an organization about
this particular facet of ham radio.

We're not (primarily) HF, we're not DX, and we don't have contests.
Therefore we're not important.  Even in the emergency communications
world I've heard derogatory statements about people that want to "play
packet" rather than concentrate on "real" communications.  Following the
Field Day rules regarding APRS over the years certainly reinforces my
opinion on this.

If we had depended on the ARRL to take the lead, APRS would be basically
dead, Kenwood would never have released their radios, and the developers
of TinyTrack, OpenTrack, HAMHud etc. would never have bothered.

If an organization at any level (ARRL, IARU, etc) doesn't want to take
the lead, then they need to get out of the way and follow those that do.
  As has happened in APRS and, I think, with much better results than if
a small, relatively closed  committee of people, no matter how
interested or dedicated, had been responsible.

73
--
Randy Allen, KAØAZS