[aprssig] HAMFEST objects on APRS or NOT !!

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Jul 18 09:29:21 EDT 2008

HFEST-26x

> I was gonna' do it for the Lake County, IL TechFest
> on the 26th, but the D700 won't allow an SSID like that.

Good point.  And I do encourage D7, D700 and D710 operators to
be prepared to enter OBJECTS as needed to inform their fellow
APRS mobiles of things going on in the area.  I keep one of my
PM's for that purpose.  One use is plotting the locations of
POLICE cars when I pass them..  But I also try to remember when
I arrive at ANY Ham radio event, to leave the D700 running and
quickly change MYCALL to the name of the event.  That way, my
car is beaconing the location OBJECT for that event.  And with
the D710, the rate decays since you are no longer moving..

> How about this work around...

I think the abbreviated form (to fit into a MYCALL) could be
HFEST2-6.  This gets the date in there, and also will still be
found on the http://map.findu.com/HFEST* web page...

Bob, Wb4APR