[aprssig] RFID antennas

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Jul 16 08:54:28 EDT 2008

> "Cheap" will probably be the biggest issue,
> as [the wi-fi RFID tags] are meant for commercial
> and enterprise applications....
> ...If we can't get a deal on them, perhaps one
> could be fashioned from one of those cheap USB
> Wi-Fi sticks, and a PIC processor?
>
> I guess my point in all of this is to not assume
> we need to use 1200/9600 baud AFSK AX.25 stuff
> to accomplish this job.

Thanks. Yes, I am not suggesting AX.25.  I'm suggesting simple
key-chain xmtrs (about $9 each).  After the "RFID reader"
receives this simple FSK, then the reader translates the
information into APRS and transmits it on 144.39 using AX.25...
Bob, WB4APR

> > From: bruninga at usna.edu
> > To: aprssig at lists.tapr.org
> > Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 19:04:47 -0400
> > Subject: Re: [aprssig] RFID antennas
> >
> >> Sounds like what you need are the RFID tags
> >> that run the Wi-Fi protocol. ... They can
> >> be worn by people, or attached to equipment.
> >
> > But I doubt they are cheap and more importantly, can run for
> > hours or days on tiny battery cell that would fit on a
nametag?
> > A passive device with 10 foot range would be even better...

> > I cant resist!  I started a WEB page:
> > http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprs-rfid.html
> >
> > Lets see.  A $89 microwave oven with the door off....  That
> > could beam plenty of power.... (JOKE!)  but seriously, what
is
> > the lowest power microprocessor we have readilly available?
> >
> > Lets see.  The ARRL exposure limits are about 1 mW/sqcm at
900
> > MHz so a 3 x 10 cm nametag could conceivably capture about
30 mW
> > ... Lets go to 10% of that amount to be safe..  Store up 3mw
> > over one second and then tx at 30 mW for 100 mS at the
end...
> > Hummh... To get that much power into the name tag, through a
6x6
> > foot door would need 100 W though!  Maybe I'm doing
something
> > wrong...
> >
> > A safer approach would be a few sqcm of solar cells would
give
> > over 100mw in the sun, you'd get only 10mw indoors.  But if
you
> > charge up a cap over a few minutes in the light, you could
power
> > a burst?
> >
> > Remember, from a CALLSIGN, we would get all of the following
> > when that station walked through the door:
> >
> > CALL, DATE, TIME, LOCATION
> >
> > In addition, the door system would add these:
> > FREQUENCY in use in that arena
> > FUNCTION being performed there...
> >
> > Of course the location is offset-and plotted as a list...
See
> > the web page...
> >
> > And that is pretty much what APRS is all about.
> >
> > Bob, WB4APR

> >> clubhouse, the EOC (we have 3, county, city and state).  At

> >> the mobile comm vans, the HQ and other gathering points for

> >> emergency comms.  At each checkpoint in any ham supported
> >> event.  At hamfests..

> >> things or people that need to be tracked.  Not just hams.

> >> readers down to the price of a tracker or so.  The point
is,
> >> that it would be a new capability that we have never had
> >> before, so we dont really know what all the applications
> >> would be.  Kinda like barcodes invented for grocerystores,
> >> but then they became to be used everywhere for all kinds of

> >> applications...

> > _
> >> Use video conversation to talk face-to-face with Windows
Live

http://www.windowslive.com/messenger/connect_your_way.html?oci