[aprssig] Inexpensive use of Trackers

Dave Waterman dwaterman at charter.net
Tue Jul 15 10:12:12 EDT 2008

At 08:43 PM 7/14/2008, you wrote:
> > I would question the need for such a device.
> > I can see it being used at something like Dayton...
> > but I wonder if there is a significant enough
> > collection of Hams in other avenues to justify the cost.
> > Where do you see this system used?

Reading the above post made me think of one cost-effective way I
found to use a tracker.

We have a house we are trying to sell in Bakersfield, while working
and renting up here in Redding.  The problem was trying to find out
when someone entered our house down there to either show or do some
scheduled maintenance.  I found an inexpensive solution in my junk
box.  I took out an old IC-2AT HT and a spare TinyTrak.  There was
one item I needed to purchase - I went to Home Depot and bought a
motion-sensing light switch.  I then laid the switch on the floor
near the house security alarm panel and placed the HT & TinyTrak near
by, out of sight.  The HT is on all the time but the TT is powered by
the motion switch.  Now when someone enters the house, I get one or
two 'pings' per detection when they arrive and again when they
leave.  We now know when, and for how long, someone was in the house
by checking the log of events for that site.

73
Dave - K6MAR