[aprssig] RFID antennas

Greg D. ko6th_greg at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 16 00:20:45 EDT 2008

Hi Bob,

"Cheap" will probably be the biggest issue, as they are meant for commercial and enterprise applications.  Tracking nurses and critical equipment in a hospital, that sort of thing.  But, perhaps one of the providers could be persuaded to help out the on-profit Ham community with just the tags.  Judging from the pictures on their website, these things look quite cheap.

As for battery life, looking at the Ekahau T201, they claim "up to several years" battery life, and are rechargeable.  So, it doesn't sound like much of a problem.

>From an RF safety perspective, I wouldn't worry either.  802.11g Wi-Fi packets are sent in microseconds, and I expect these things don't chirp all that often.  It looks like there is a button on them (so you'd need to give it a pat as you walked through the door, Captain Kirk style), but even so, the average RF output is going to be near zero.

But, on your site you mention kits, and while I can see the receiving end being a do-it-yourself project, what do we do about the Tag?  If we can't get a deal on them, perhaps one could be fashioned from one of those cheap USB Wi-Fi sticks, and a PIC processor?

I guess my point in all of this is to not assume we need to use 1200/9600 baud AFSK AX.25 stuff to accomplish this job.  I have no interest in Ekahau or any other tag company, by the way...

Greg  KO6TH