[aprssig] Easier Way to Post Objects?

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Sat Jul 12 12:44:09 EDT 2008

Ralph Milnes wrote:
> I wonder if there's any easier way to post OBJECTs and events? Objects are
> troublesome to program and it's even harder to remember to do it.
>
> How about if we had a website where we could post objects that would find
> their way to FINDU?
>
> Benefits:
> * ease of entry
> * less errors (you follow a template)
> * automate start and end dates of the beacon
> * beaconing rates less frequently than 60 minutes
> * wouldn't need a 24/7 RF station to output the beacon
>
> But I'm not very familiar with the internet-to-RF mechanisms. Will beaconing
> of an object on the FINDU be relayed to RF for travelers to see? Can
> beaconing be limited to some defined area? (California doesn't need to see a
> Hamfest object in New Jersey.)
>
> Just a rough idea that others might massage a bit ...
>
> Ralph KC2RLM

Findu is not the APRS Internet system. You don't "beacon on Findu".
Findu operates as a client logged into the APRS IS in much the same
manner you would with a program like WinAPRS, APRSplus, UIview, etc.

You (or the hypothetical fill-in-the-form website) would be logged into
one of the 30 or so servers that comprise the APRS Internet System.
Anything and everything you send to the server (off-air RF traffic from
your TNC/radio, messages, bulletins or objects originated locally on the
computer, etc) is then forwarded to every other APRS-IS server.  (It
really doesn't matter which server you connect to; every APRS server
will see the same data within a second or so.)

In turn, other Internet-connected home users, Findu.com, aprs.fi, etc
take this data stream from the server of their choice, filter it and
present it in lists or on maps.   A major difference between findu  and
your typical home APRS connection,  is that Findu vacuums up everything
that passes over the APRS IS and archives it for a month or two.  This
makes it possible to do queries such as the route of a specific mobile
over the last several weeks, how many different callsigns were gated to
the Internet by a particular igate last week, etc.

Igates don't automatically reverse-gate Internet traffic to RF.
Normally they only gate traffic directed to a specific callsign, and
only IF that call sign has been heard recently nearby on RF.   [Recently
typically means within the last 30-60 mins, nearby typically means heard
direct or via only one digi hop].

An igate operator can configure an igate to reverse gate specific
callsigns if he knows the calls in advance and places them in a list.
For example, a mobile wandering around the country could arrange for the
home-town igate to reverse-gate his beacons even though he is thousands
of miles away, so the home-town folks can follow his travels.

--

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com

NEW!   World Digipeater Map
  http://wa8lmf.net/APRSmaps