[aprssig] TM-D710 APRS symbol (also posted on theyahooV71/D710group)

Heikki Hannikainen hessu at hes.iki.fi
Fri Jul 11 19:45:55 EDT 2008

On Fri, 11 Jul 2008, Robert Bruninga wrote:

>> I take it that a "+" or "-" offset isn't needed
>> in the object for the D710s?
>
> MHz only needs to be there if it is in the position text.  If it
> is the object name, then there is no room for it.  Also I woiuld
> remove the + since it makes the object not appear on FINDU...

   By the way, you can use http://aprs.fi/14*.* and also click on repeaters
which have a '+' in there, the + character is properly URL encoded here.
Sorry for the shameless plug, I just couldn't resist.

>> while I can understand the "xyz" after the
>> frequency are to make the repeater objects unique,
>> does it really matter?
>
> No, not at all on local RF unless, as you say, there are two in
> the same APRS "local" RF domain.  But it is nice to be able to
> use FINDU to keep track of the global APRS system, so I would
> try to make it unique.  Just do a map.findu.com/FFF.FF* and see
> what is already in use...

   Second that - it's nice and interesting to see repeater object usage on
a global scale. Also, if I'm going to travel somewhere, I'm going to look
it up on a map before I go. Yes, I might also check the local repeater
directory, if it's available. :)

   - Hessu, OH7LZB, just back from Bordeaux