[aprssig] D700 dP bug ? Was:CQ Server operational question

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Jul 4 11:56:20 EDT 2008

> Going DIRECT D7 to D700...
> I *was* changing the Position of the D7 by
> switching between the three (POS1, POS2, POS3)
> [but] the D700 ALWAYS said dP  !

I suspected the same.  DP means it is a postion packet from a station that has already been heard.  This is opposed to a NEW station that was just heard for the first time.  A New station flashes all of its data on the screen.  A "DP" just lets you know that a station you have already heard has just reported his position again.

The original design for this was on the D7 DISPLAY.  Since the display is so tiny, we did not want every single position update from every mobile to flash the entire display and interrupt what the D7 was showing as to frequeucny and settings.  In heavy APRS areas, you wouldnt be able to see the screen!

This got carried over into the D700 and I didn't notice it.

When it got carried over into the D710, which has menu options for displaying new data on only half, or all the display is when I realized this DP was preventing me from seeing every packet on the channel.  When I am in APRS mode and just curious about APRS activity, I want to see EVERY packet displayed on the screen when it comes in.

Hence the realization that the "DP" was a legacy from the 1998 time frame of the D7 and its limited display and it should be eliminated.   After all, that is what APRS is about, displaying fresh information to the mobile user.

Good eye!

I hope in the next version of he D710, that there is an option for seeing every packet if desired.

Bob, WB4APR