[aprssig] Core Server locations

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Mon Jan 28 08:33:20 EST 2008

The key to the APRS IS core concept is the number of sysops must be
kept as low as possible while still providing quality service. having
two on each continent would make coordination very difficult.

That said, I suspect the core sysops would have no objection to adding
one in Europe if it was of sufficient quality.

A core server is not something running on a home network with surplus
hardware. Figure on spending 2000 to 3000 Euros on the hardware if you
do not have a state-of-the-art server sitting around unused
(reliability is essential, e.g. RAID, ECC, dual power supplies). The
computer needs to be in a real data center, with security, conditioned
power, and high bandwidth connections to multiple backbones. The sysop
needs to be an IT pro, someone who truly understands the intricacies
of TCP and is able to manage a high reliability server. Ideally the
person will own the colo site, as the bandwidth requirements are very
high, at the very least either the financial resources to pay for the
bandwidth, or true commitment from the colo site owner are needed. As
US-centric as is sounds, fluent english would be necessary because
rapid and efficient communications between the sysops is essential. A
European sysop should also like to be up late at night, sometimes
changes must be made nearly simultaneously to the core, these usually
happen at 0300 to 0500 UTC, very early in the morning in Europe.

Most importantly, the sysop has to be committed and self-motivated.
Running one of these is expensive, time-consuming, and worst of all
thankless.

If anyone thinks they can meet these requirements then the next step
is to talk with the current sysops.

Steve K4HG