[aprssig] info for TM-D710E in car

Rick Green rtg at aapsc.com
Wed Jan 23 13:59:28 EST 2008

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008, Steve Slay wrote:

> Is this the one?
>
> http://www.powerstream.com/DC-UPS-1212-10A.htm
>
> Steve Slay
> KC5MVY
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Dave Baxter" <dave at emv.co.uk>
> Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2008 3:24 AM
> Subject: RE: [aprssig] info for TM-D710E in car
>

> The following device IS the solution to the problem stated by IK1AQI and
> IZ1CQY :
>           http://www.aprsworld.com/apo3/
>
> Nope, that is NOT the solution to the radio loosing it's settings and
> not updating it's postion data from the GPS, after a power dip during
> engine cranking.

  Well, since it doesn't present ANY power to the radio until the bus
voltage exceeds a threshold, it would prevent scrambling of the radio's
brains on the initial startup.  However, if you were to stop and run a
quick errand, then start the car again within the 10-minute timeout
period, you've got a potential problem.
   The powerstream device seems totally overkill.  I'd go with a simple
diode-blocking dual-battery isolator, and an APO3 between the second
'accessory' battery and the radio(s).

Question: Does the TM-D710 have a 'real' power switch, or a
software-driven key on the front panel?  Can it be configured to come on
automatically when power is applied?

--
Rick Green, N8BJX

                                   -Benjamin Franklin