[aprssig] Mini-DIN patch cables

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Sun Jan 13 23:50:12 EST 2008

Scott Miller wrote:
> I seem to remember someone mentioning specific requirements they had
> for a 6-pin mini-DIN patch cable ('data' jack style), but I can't find
> them now.  I know the big thing is that they have all 6 wires and have
> connectors that'll fit where the keyboard style plugs won't.  I think
> it had something to do with the ground connection, but I don't remember.
>
> I got lucky last time and found a bunch of suitable cables that had
> been produced for some custom high-end audio gear.  They're a little
> stiff, but they've worked well.  I'm almost out of those, though, and
> that's all that was available.
>
> I've got some other cables being made now (Tracker2 serial splitters
> to start with) and I'm getting a batch of mini-DIN patch cables made
> up while I'm at it, since I can't find a suitable source of ready-made
> cables.  If anyone's got suggestions for other cables that might be
> worth ordering at the same time, let me know.  I'm not sure the
> factory has the tooling for speaker mic connectors, but they can
> certainly handle common audio and data connectors.
>
> Hmm, maybe I'll have them do some DB9 to 3.5mm stereo adapters to do
> GPS hookups on the DR-135T...
>
> Scott
> N1VG

Probably too low a volume application but one that would be really
cool....    A 2.5mm stereo (i.e. 3-cond) plug on each end, with a
right-angle plug on one end, a straight one on the other, and the two
hot wires crossed over (i.e. tip-to-ring, ring-to-tip).

This would connect a Garmin Foretrex or similar GPS to a TH-D7's GPS
input.  Having the plug at the radio end lay flat against the side of
the HT's case instead of sticking way out would be nice.      I've
actually had inquiries about this from people reading the Foretrex
review page on my web site at:

     <http://wa8lmf.net/ForeTrex>

A similar cable with the right-angle 2.5mm stereo plug to a DB9 female
for a TH-D7-to-computer hookup would also be useful, and probably have a
wider market.   Again the right-angle mini-plug would dress the cable
down the side of the HT instead of sticking out awkwardly.

Or even better, a 2.5mm right-angle stereo miniplug to USB A, with the
FDTI USB-to-serial chipset in a molded "goiter" in the middle of the cable.

--

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com

NEW!   World Digipeater Map
  http://wa8lmf.net/APRSmaps