[aprssig] FREQUENCY on APRS

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Sat Jan 12 19:48:38 EST 2008

James KB7TBT wrote...

> This was the basis for my question, does it handle it correctly,
> not only placing the correct formatted text so the other radios
> can be interpreted by it properly, but all around.

If you create an object in UI-View, it will convey the frequency
embedded in the name ofo the object, the position, the symbol that you
chose and other informationt that you add to the beacon comment such as
the tone frequency, callsign, name of town or whatever. It will be a
proper object.

> The path is an issue, a downside is you cannot chose a path for
> the objects in uiview {not that I have found}. The only other choice
> for most will be implementing a beacon from a local digi.

It will go out using the path specified in your station setup. As
repeater objects are meant for local use, they should go out with no
path at all. If your station doesn't have approximately the same
coverage as the repeater, pehaps you aren't the best station to send the
object. Ideally, an APRS digipeater at the repeater site would be
generating the object.

On the other hand, if you are within earshot of only one digi, and if
the frequency is very quiet there, and if the coverage of that digi is
about the same as the voice repeater, go for it. I would really
recommend having the digi create the object instead, but if you can't
get to the digi, or if you aren't the owner and the owner refuses to
create the repeater object, you could do it from there. It's just not
the ideal way to do it.

> Unfortunately beacons from a digi will never contain ALL the area
> information and will be subject to bias and not rationality.
> Looking for a better way:

Huh? What does that mean?

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH