[aprssig] Carry Ons

Dave Baxter dave at emv.co.uk
Tue Jan 8 04:44:27 EST 2008

The main problem with cellphones on flights is not that they interfear
with engine management, flight controls or even navigation systems.
They do however get into the very EMC vulnerable cockpit flight crew
intercom.

Our company were involved with doing some EMC tests on the ground with a
"borrowed" 737 at Gatwick some years back.

It was amazing to find that whater and wherever you launched the RF in
the passenger cabin, that the highest concentration would appear in the
avionics bay, and thence into the flight deck intercom...

As one pilot said, the last thing you want when trying to land in a
stiff crosswind, is some twit's phone buzzing in your ears all the
time...

It still amazes me though, that with all the notices and instructions
you get as you embark, sit down belt up etc, relating to having to turn
the things off, that at some point in a flight, at least one phone will
ring or beep...   I once saw a French passenger have his phone (that he
was openly using during the flight) taken from him, the battery removed,
and the phone given back.   He was not happy, but the rest of us were!

There is also a problem on the ground, if a phone is flying above, too
many cells can "see" the phone and create problems that way.  So I was
told by someone who works for Vodafone in the UK, at the system techical
level.

I once flew back to London from Hong Kong via Singapore, with a Belcom
LS202 handy in the seat pocket, during a VHF field day.   I could have
"cleaned up" points wise if I could have transmitted!...   (I had an
earpiece and a long lead, also a CD player in the same seat pocket if
anyone asked!)   That was many many years back!  Absolutely zero chance
of getting that on as hand luggage these days...   Even with a valid
licence and no batteries..

Laptops with WiFi though, are still allowed, and if you look (not that
you should have it enabled) you'll find several others all squeeking
away at 2.5GHz during the flight.

Cheers.

Dave G0WBX.