[aprssig] APRS-XO proposal

Andrew Rich vk4tec at people.net.au
Mon Jan 7 16:14:51 EST 2008

Will that laptop support perl ?

Andrew Rich VK4TEC
vk4tec at people.net.au <mailto:vk4tec at people.net.au>
http://www.tech-software.net

-----Original Message-----
From: aprssig-bounces at lists.tapr.org
[mailto:aprssig-bounces at lists.tapr.org]On Behalf Of Robert Bruninga
Sent: Tuesday, 8 January 2008 7:11 AM
To: 'TAPR APRS Mailing List'
Subject: RE: [aprssig] APRS-XO proposal

> To this end, the APRS-IS servers restrict unlicensed
> operation to position and weather reports only.
> Only validated logins may message, insert objects, etc.
> Just a clarification.

Thanks Pete for the clarification.  OK, for now, then we are
simply looking for a linux AP that will run on the XO of
licensed hams and inject their position every 10 minutes while
they are active and in Wireless range.  We can address the use
of this capability for the invitation of potential youthful hams
later...

Then later, if we want to solicit XO owners into ham radio,
could we not add an OLPC category to these restrictions?  And
you are probably right, that there will be plenty of people
working on the messaging application for unlicensed users in
OLPC forums, so we do not need to provide that for unlicensed
users.  But let them be able to receive APRS messages and
announcements from other licensed OLPC APRS-XO users?...
Maybe...

I did just join the OLPC CRASROOTS forum and was able to zoom in
and put my location right on my office roof using their Google
Maps application..

Just thinking out loud...
Bob, WB4APR