[aprssig] APRS-XO proposal

Paul Kronenwetter n2kiq at arrl.net
Mon Jan 7 18:15:31 EST 2008

Andrew and the rest of the list interested in this little green beauty...

It's running a slightly(?) modified Fedora Core 7 distribution and it
includes Python out of the box. But other packages like Perl, C, C++ etc
are available for installation via yum.  The boot loader is OpenFirmware
so it's not your standard grub / Legacy PC BIOS, but otherwise it's a
well-behaved Linux PC with 256MB memory and 1GB hard drive.

Getting it to do on-air stuff via the Linux AX.25 stack is a little
involved, but I'm working on a document that will help with that.  It'll
take me a while since I'm having problems with soundmodem and the last
olpc-update wiped out most of the packages I'd installed to support
building things like Xastir.  But I didn't lose anything...

In general the system is not locked down in any significant way.  The
sugar interface is effectively the window manager to a standard X
display.  The really "annoying" part is the screen is 200DPI (!) which
at 152x114 mm means that the xterm or xastir display is really really
tiny.  I still haven't figured out how to load fonts and be able to
specify them on the command line (-fn 9x16 doesn't work even with that
font loaded.)  But I'm working away at it as time permits.

My intended purpose is to be able to use the OLPC, a radio and a 12v
battery / power supply in a shelter or other power-challenged place
during hurricanes or other natural disasters for data communications.
Its low-power requirements and 12v friendliness was really attractive.
Your mileage may vary as always.

'73
-Paul