[aprssig] RE: 6m MS network Performance Monitoring!

Joel Maslak jmaslak-aprs at antelope.net
Thu Jan 3 19:05:19 EST 2008

On Jan 3, 2008, at 8:10 AM, Robert Bruninga wrote:

>> Subject: Re: 6m MS network Performance Monitoring!
>> look at http://www.propnet.org
>> it does exactly that.
>
> Yes, Propnet has lead the way.  we hope to get some of the
> Propnet 6m folks on to this new application too.  You are right
> that this is simillar to Propnet, but it is also quite different
> in several ways:
>
> * Propnet beacons infrequently, looking for band openings
> * MS requires continuous packet TX at a 25% duty cycle or so
> * Propnet is a system monitoring propogation for rare openings
> * APRS MS network will serve a specific communications mission

Check out http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/factpub/sntlfct1.html

I got a note in my Cheyenne, WY water bill that the city is using
this system to track snowpacks to forcast water availability.

It uses meteor-scatter communication.  Kind of a neat application,
and perfect for meteor-scatter because lost messages won't be that
big of a deal - you're looking at trends and average levels.

They report that 95% response from remote sites is "standard" during
interrogation, and 99% response is "common".

Also I note this on the page I link to: "While carrying out the
agency mission is paramount, NRCS is interested in supporting the
research and operational data collection needs of others. The current
system offers excellent opportunities."

Also see http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/snow/about.html