[aprssig] RE: 6m MS network Performance Monitoring!

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Jan 3 10:10:58 EST 2008

> Subject: Re: 6m MS network Performance Monitoring!
> look at http://www.propnet.org
> it does exactly that.

Yes, Propnet has lead the way.  we hope to get some of the
Propnet 6m folks on to this new application too.  You are right
that this is simillar to Propnet, but it is also quite different
in several ways:

* Propnet beacons infrequently, looking for band openings
* MS requires continuous packet TX at a 25% duty cycle or so
* Propnet is a system monitoring propogation for rare openings
* APRS MS network will serve a specific communications mission

The performance monitoring of the APRS 6m MS network is just an
inherrent monitoring of communications throughput, since the MS
path is statistically there all the time.  (Meaning long term
averages over hours)...

Today I brought my radio in, and might find time this evening to
hook it up.
So it is 50.63, right?  Hummh...  If that is what is used by
Propnet, then I hope they will not see this as interference?
Maybe they will welcome it as additional sources?

Or are these missions incompatible.  Should the APRS MS channel
be different.  Is there a way to poll the Propnet folks for
their opinions?
Here is the APRS MS plan for 6m:
http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/meteors.html

Bob, Wb4APR

> --- Robert Bruninga <bruninga at usna.edu> wrote:
>
> > > I have revised my APRS MS web page to focus
> > > on this exciting new capability.
> >
> > Wow, and I just added one more thought.  And that is that
each
> > Igate can also be probing the 6m sky with its own periodic
beacon
> > packets.
> > Then, if any one of the other dozens of 6m Igates hears it,
then
> > it is visibile back to the originating Igate in real time as
> > feedback.  The Igates themselves then can easily build their
own
> > statistics on their own real-time success rate.
> >
> > They can use this to fine-tune the optimum statistical
transmit
> > rate to obntain the performance we desire! (97%) probablitiy
of
> > delivery... PLUS real time performance data on the whole 6m
MS
> > network!
> > http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/meteors.html
> >
> > Bob, WB4APR
> >

> > One thing down the road we might need is for
> > > ALOGGER to also TX messages back into the disaster area.
> > > Something like this:
> > >
> > > Someone send an EMAIL to the disaster area.  All 6m Igates
see
> > > the message and schedule it for transmitting.  Each Igate
> > > transmits according to the normal 15 second TX windows for
> > > each quadrant of the country.  They do this for say one
hour
> > > (TBD).
> > >
> > > All we have to do is figure out the probability
distribution