[aprssig] APRS Authors - New Symbols

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Feb 14 09:52:26 EST 2008

> We're getting a awful lot of these \a with Overlay
> symbols on the (internet) APRS map already, what
> with Winlink (W overlay) and DSTAR (D Overlay).
>
> http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/symbol.cgi?icon=Wa&limit=2000
> http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/symbol.cgi?icon=Da&limit=500
>
> You had earlier said "\c" for SATERN:

Yes, and now that we are starting to make some permanent
assignments of these sepcific symbol/overlay combinations,
Authors of APRS software should build into their code the
provision for SPECIAL symbols for each of these.  There are now
many special such assignments.  This gives us the potential for
hundreds of new symbols if the APRS software will display them
uniquely.

Can someone come up with a nice symbol(ICON) for these?
Winlink (1500), DSTAR(300+), SATERN(?)

I'd suggest some kind of vehicle for the DSTAR's and some kind
of keyboard for the WinLINKs?  SATERN will use these for their
mobile canteens.  Maybe some modification of the Red-Cross
symbol?

Bob, Wb4APR

Bruninga
> > Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2008 09:56 AM
> > To: 'TAPR APRS Mailing List'
> > Subject: [aprssig] APRS for SATERN
> >

> > I was asked for the symbol to use for the Salvation Army
> > communications, and I responded with the suggestion to use
the
> > "S" overlay on the \a for SATERN communications stations and
an
> > "S" overlay on \c for the mobile canteens...
> >
> > I have made SATERN suggestions in the past, but cannot find
> > them.  To make sure I don't forget in the future, I will add
> > note to the symbols file:
> >
> > http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprs/symbolsX.txt
> >
> > Bob, WB4APR

creative.
> > > Maybe use other calls, or tactical calls.
> > >
> > > For the canteens, I'd receommend using an "S" overlay on
> > either
> > > the \c symbol.  Althought the name of that symbol is
"civil