[aprssig] Xastir installation problems

Bill Borgstrom n9tn_r2 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 24 19:09:38 EST 2008

I'm trying to install Xastir 1.9.2 on my HP compaq nx9010 laptop.

The OS is  linux Ubuntu 8.10

I receive no error when using Synaptic Package Manager to do the install.

When I start Xastir I get the following error message:

  festival client: connect to server failed
  SayText: Couldn't open socket to Festival

A more serious problem is sometimes when I click on a menu item I get a small version of a dialog window that looks like an icon of a cigar.  I cannot increase the  size of this iconic cigar I can only delete it.

This icon window problem is especially serious when I click on "Interface" followed by  "Interface Control".  I almost always get an iconic window..  If I do get a normal window I'll often get an iconic window when I click on Add.

Thanks for any help I may receive.

73 Bill N9TN