[aprssig] weigh your toilet paper

Jack Spitznagel frawg at frawg.org
Tue Dec 23 05:50:04 EST 2008

Bob,

Are the power requirements of the tracker/TNCs such that a inexpensive
solar panel/battery array (like the 6V electric fence chargers can
maintain them in weather exposed areas?? I have a fence charger with a
good solar/battery subsystem in which the pulser no longer works. I
wonder if that unit would make a good power supply and outdoor enclosure?

Since it is not too far from us, it is the "halfway point" of the AT,
and easy to reach on the trail, may I suggest that we put a  prototype
in at Pine Grove Furnace, PA? Protected sites may be an issue. Most of
the store I know are down in valleys that may be pretty bad RF holes. We
probably could get the folks at AT HQ at Harpers Ferry to suggest a few
others. Other potential sites that come to mind include the Washington
Monument over on South Mountain here in MD and somewhere near Big
Meadows up on Skyline Drive in the SNP. They would be good trial sites.

Now you have me thinnking about it... I have a family connection at the
south end of the trail... My parents are in Jasper, GA (father is
N4CGY). I might think about what I know of that area when I get time.

-Jack - kd4iz