[aprssig] Xastir installation problems

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Dec 24 19:23:28 EST 2008

On Wed, 24 Dec 2008, Bill Borgstrom wrote:

> When I start Xastir I get the following error message:
>
>   festival client: connect to server failed
>   SayText: Couldn't open socket to Festival

That's not an error, it's an informative message telling you that
Xastir cannot connect to the Festival speech daemon.  If you don't
want Xastir actually talking to you, ignore the message as it won't
hurt anything.  If you do want to have speech from Xastir, start the
Festival daemon before starting Xastir.  See the text documents that
come with Xastir for details on starting it.

> A more serious problem is sometimes when I click on a menu item I
> get a small version of a dialog window that looks like an icon of
> a cigar.  I cannot increase the  size of this iconic cigar I can
> only delete it.

That's caused by some kind of fancy window effects you have turned
on in your window manager.  I don't recall the specifics but you can
search through the Xastir archives for "cigar" and probably find it
easily.  Turn off the option 'cuz it doesn't play well with all
programs.

Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer