[aprssig] Help Please

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Tue Aug 19 11:11:19 EDT 2008

Bob WB4APR wrote...

>> ZL2TZE-1>APU16N,TCPIP*,qAC,T2APRSNZ:;HAMFEST
>> *190335z4148.02S\17219.97Eh 6TH & 7TH Sept 2008 Fire Station
>> [Location changes too fast (>500 km/h)]
>
> That's because whatever software you are talking about seems to
> be interpreting the "6th and 7th" as a course and speed.  A very
> high speed at that. So probably it is a bug in that software (I'm
> not following this close enough to understand what or where).

I could be proved wrong, but I don't think so. It is more than likely
because multiple stations were generating objects with the same HAMFEST
name, but at different locations. This could be proved if one or several
other people also created an object named SPEEDY (case sensitive!) and
watch it speeding around as each of them beaconed it. I created one, but
moved it several times to get things started. I'll leave it where it is
for now and will get rid of the one that I created tonight.

The "software" is at aprs.fi. You would have to look at the callsign of
the station generating the object... e.g.
http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=VE7GDH-10&limit=50

As well as the speedy OBJECT, you will see one named VE7WBI. The
real VE7WBI has been beaconing with an invalid position. I've been
trying to catch his attention, or that of someone that knows him.

> But change the format of the object to what is recommended for HAMFEST
> objects and see if it works. Name is HFEST-ddx where dd is day of
> month and x is chosen to make it unique. Check for others on your same
> day at http://map.findu.com/HFEST*

I came up with HFESTxxxx to make it unique back on May 19. You came
with using the day of the month and one more character for the unique
part. I think it's catching on, but not everywhere yet.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH