[aprssig] Mobile Displays on FINDU & .FI

Tapio Sokura oh2kku at iki.fi
Mon Aug 11 20:10:44 EDT 2008

Bob Bruninga wrote:
> Regarding INFO displays in mobiles:

This reminds me: Why don't the mobiles display/store a longer comment?
Sure, the current answer is that the firmware is written the way it is
and realistically it can't be changed. The comment doesn't necessarily
have to be visible on the screen in its entirety, you could display
arrow marks and have buttons for scrolling the text or have automatic
scrolling. Memory is cheap, I hope the designers have had the sense to
put enough of it in the D710 so the possibility for firmware updates can
really be utilized for more than simple bug fixes.

When can we move from thinking about how to cleverly twist and turn the
specs to make them conform to old radios with fixed firmware, to
thinking about how to make the radios (and the spec!) really better? The
numerous erratas are also a swamp, we really need an up-to-date coherent
self-referencing document like the 1.01 PDF.

  Tapio