[aprssig] Email addresses in APRS

John Habbinga kc5zrq at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 13:07:07 EDT 2008

> In setting a standard of including an internet email address in an APRS message we're, in a sense,
> encouraging further communication via the internet when, I think, we should be focusing these
> messages on alternate amateur modes of communication first, maybe internet second, then maybe phone
> numbers third, etc. Afterall, the purpose of these messages is to inform travelers, those in need of
> assistance, etc. so we should provide info that is most helpful to them at the moment.

This thread is not for setting a standard of including an internet
email address in an APRS message.  It is merely a discussion of how to
format email addresses over APRS to avoid spam and to be easily
recognized by the receiver.  It is not about encouraging communication
via the internet.

My argument is that we don't need a standard because establishing a
standard will only make it easier for spammers to identify a valid
email address.  When I send my email over APRS, I just send
kc5zrq at gmail.  I figure the recipient can figure out to put .com at
the end.