[aprssig] Kenwood TH-D7AG Full Duplex?

Amir Findling K9CHP sarlabs at twcny.rr.com
Mon Apr 28 14:01:14 EDT 2008

The TH-D7AG will indeed do full duplex. I've used mine for satellite
work quite often and it worked well, heading myself (on a headset or
external speaker to prevent feedback) as well as the other parties on
the satellite. You know the main shortcoming though, I hope. The battery
you get is not the greatest and I recommend getting a spare from
Batteries America (with the rapid charger they sell - no relations, just
a satisfied customer). Nothing is more annoying when your battery dies
in the middle of a satellite QSO...
Now you realize you'll also may want the programming cables, whether you
make your own or buy them, still more money out of the kitty. The
programming software is free though. OTOH, with the D7 you can do
satellite/ISS APRS and it will also reflect your position on the 710,
should you be going on a walk in the woods. So it will do much more than
the old Icom, but at a price tag.

    * 73 de K9CHP Amir Findling, Member ARRL, WAC
    * www.K9CHP.net <http://www.k9chp.net>
    * Senior K9 Handler, Cayuga County Highland SAR
    * K9 Certification Tester, NYS Federation of SAR Teams
    * 1st Special Response Group (1SRG)