[aprssig] APRS Location to Text

Heikki Hannikainen hessu at hes.iki.fi
Wed Apr 23 15:30:39 EDT 2008

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008, Scott Miller wrote:

> If you want to do it off-line (not relying on Google or something) then
> you're going to need a database.  I've done it using Oracle Spatial, loaded
> with the USGS GNIS database for place names.  Then it's a matter of looking
> up the nearest population center and getting the distance to it.

   I'm using GeoNames (http://www.geonames.org/) for http://aprs.fi/ - it's
a free and global database of coordinates and names for places. A
regularly updated collection of such data available from numerous public
sources.

   Quickly looking up the nearest town is surprisingly complicated if you
wish to do it yourself, a database engine with spatial extensions
certainly helps a lot.

   - Hessu, OH7LZB