[aprssig] APRS Location to Text

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Apr 23 15:13:39 EDT 2008

> > Does anyone have an easy way to translate
> > an APRS position into something human readable?
> > For example, KI4HDU-7 is in Kodak, TN
> >
> how about
>    Position of KI4HDU-7 --- 6.2 miles northeast of
Sevierville, TN

> This text returned by
> http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?call=ki4hdu-7

And that is the format of the VOICE synthesized output from the
APRS-Touchtone that I wrote back in 2001 or so and have been
trying to convince someone to write a Windows version ever
since.  APRStt runs at a repeater site or other high location
and takes Touch-Tone callsigns and simple DTMF reports and
responds on a dedicated voice channel with information similar
to the above.

The advantage of APRStt is that *anyone* with an HT with a DTMF
pad or memory can enter data and anyone with a radio can receive
it by tunining into the APRStt voice response channel.  Imagine,
everyone at your club's event can play, not just the 5% with
APRS  radios!

http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprstt.html

I sure hope someone develops this someday for the PC (mine used
DOS, an external DTMF decoder and an external D/A for voice,
which is too much trouble these days).  These days, it can be
done in only software.  Uses a sound card for DTMF reception and
sound card for voice response.  Can be run at any repeater site
by just addding a PC...

Then EVERY ham can be tracked by just pressing his DTMF memory
channel 1 with his callsign.  That immediately places him into
APRS in the vicinity of that repeater site.

Bob, WB4APR