[aprssig] FOUND -NEW laptops for APRS

Alex Carver kf4lvz at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 16 13:20:08 EDT 2008

> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 11:35:58 +0100
> From: "Dave Baxter"
> Subject: RE: [aprssig] FOUND -NEW laptops for APRS

> Not sure about the "low latency"..  With the Viola
> devices at least, you
> have to be very carfull how you set them up to get
> the best performance
> from them, and that is more often than not, as
> dependant on the device
> they are connected to, plus the application software
> you wish to use
> with it.

I've stress tested my particular hub.  It's used to do
data collection on an experimental system.  There are
47 devices chained on a 32 port unit (some of the
devices are RS485) and I get between 50 and 100 ms
turnaround on my data depending on the device I'm
querying.  In the case of one of the RS485 strings, I
can send my query and already have a response at the
computer in an average of 54ms.  The next device in
the chain gets queried about 10ms later.  I'm probably
going to get one for myself eventually as soon as I
can cough up $1k for it.

The other nice thing is that the drivers can be
installed on more than one computer and you can divide
up the unit between computers.  For example, ports 1-8
can be assigned to one computer while ports 9-16 can
be assigned to another computer.