[aprssig] FOUND -NEW laptops for APRS

Dave Baxter dave at emv.co.uk
Wed Apr 16 06:35:58 EDT 2008

Yep, I too use them.

I have some Viola Eserv-10 devices, I didn't get the matching software,
but the free Virtual Com port drivers from HW-Group work with them OK,
so long as you don't want to mess with the port settings.
http://www.hw-group.com/software/index_en.html and go for the HW VSP
(Virtual Serial Port) It's free...

I also have the APRS TNC in the shack equiped with one, so I can mess
with that remotely if needed, or from any network connected PC with
HyperTerminal (not my favorite, but in this case it "just works") so
long as you know the IP address & Port to use (Via WAN with a password,
via LAN or VPN with no password)

Not sure about the "low latency"..  With the Viola devices at least, you
have to be very carfull how you set them up to get the best performance
from them, and that is more often than not, as dependant on the device
they are connected to, plus the application software you wish to use
with it.

But...  Overall, Ethernet to Serial (or other I/O) devices are very nice
to use.

Also very usefull to remotely connect different bits of Hardware
together, that would otherwise be imposible to do due to physical
location, using a network as a very long serial extender, also if needed
with fixed IP addresses, so just an otherwise "dead" network cable can
be used, no need for DHCP etc.

As an asside, it seems these things run an embedded version of GNU/Linux
internaly.  With a serial port, and network port, working of 12V, and
very rugged...  They must be usefull for something else too?  Not that
I'd have a clue how to hack it's OS....

73.

Dave G0WBX.

This mail has been scanned by Palmer Cook Computer Services Limited.  www.palmercook.co.uk