[aprssig] DGPS?

Earl Needham needhame1 at plateautel.net
Sat Apr 12 18:06:25 EDT 2008

At 03:58 PM 4/12/2008, Keith VE7GDH wrote:
>Earl KD5XB wrote...
>
>>I've been on the road almost a week, so my apologies for the late
>>reply.
>
>No problem. I'm sometimes a week behind, but don't have an excuse for it!
>
>>I can answer this in two sentences -
>>   1.  I like using DGPS.
>>   2.  It gives me pleasure.
>>I could expound on this a bit, but these two sentences pretty well
>>boil it all down. Actually, we could do away with
>>either one and it would still say pretty much the same thing! <G>
>
>I'm probably just jealous that I don't have DGPS! Like I said, I
>wouldn't want to discourage someone from using it. I just think that for
>"general APRS use" it just isn't needed. However if someone is equipped,
>why not? I've got an RTrak beaconing completely on solar power right
>now... because it gives me pleasure! For regular use, I'll just connect
>a battery.

         Gee, I'd sure like to have either solar or else a wind
generator to run my ham and computer stuff!  But I won't trade my
DGPS for it, HI!

         Actually, the DGPS doesn't come into play with APRS, I only
watch it on the GPS on my dash.  I think the only way for anyone else
to know I am using DGPS would be if I set the HamHUD to output the
RMC string instead of the "WinAPRS-style" position.

         7 3
         Earl

KD5XB -- Earl Needham
Clovis, New Mexico DM84jk