[aprssig] GPS off track

Michael Carey michaelcarey at internode.on.net
Wed Apr 2 07:25:47 EDT 2008

I come across this issue all the time at work. I work in marine
electronics and datum confusion is very painful when you have fishermen
with old paper charts in AGD66 and new electronic charts in WGS84.
Ideally, whatever mapping system/software you use can take this into
account... the problem is, many don't.
For land based stuff I use Oziexplorer which automatically sorts out the
datum for you. Many of the maps I use with Oziexplorer are in AGD66,
some are WGS84 and some are in GDA94 (the "new" Australian datum which
is virtually the same as WGS84). You don't need to worry if the software
has been written correctly. When I enter a waypoint Lat/Long in
Oziexplorer, I have to specify the datum. If it differs from the map I
am viewing, Oziexplorer changes it to suit. The position is still the
same and although the Lat/Long changes depending on what map I load...
it is still the same position.
APRS software is easier as it is all based on WGS84, the "GPS datum"...
as long as you have your GPS set to WGS84!
Michael.
VK5ZEA