[aprssig] GPS off track

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Wed Apr 2 21:41:57 EDT 2008

Ben and others,

According to Geoscience Australia - we use GDA94, not WGS84, and this is
why ...

quote ....
However since 1994, the Australian tectonic plate has been shifting
approximately northeast at a rate of about 7cm per year. Because the
whole of Australia is moving uniformly, this movement is not an issue
when obtaining positions relative to other GDA94 positions. However, if
a position is obtained directly from a global positioning system (such
as GPS) the difference may be apparent. If the global position has a
large uncertainty – such as a standard GPS point position with accuracy
of about 10 metres – then it is still not an issue. But where an
accurate global position is obtained – such as a global high accuracy
differential GPS system with an uncertainty of a few decimetres – the
difference is very relevant.
......etouq

More info here ...
http://www.ga.gov.au/geodesy/datums/cosys.jsp

The Geoscience Australia web site provides a host of information of
mapping standards in Australia.

GDA94 - Geocentric Datum of Australia, 1994.

Map height are relative to Australian Height Datum - AHD

This is what I'm seeing on a random selection of paper maps here.

1:25,000 printed in 1980 to AGD 1966
AGD - Australian Geodetic Datum. To convert WGS72 to AGD66 add 5.6"
(172m) to latitude, decrease longitude by 3.2" (85m), and decrease
satellite height by 28m.

1:25.000 printed in 2000 to GDA 1994
GDA - Geocentric Datum of Australia 1994. To convert GDA94 to AGD66
increase Latitude by 5.7" and decrease Longitude by 3.9". To obtain
WGS84 height increase AHD (Australian height Datum) by 31m

I suppose a newer map would provide conversion to/from WGS84

We've had something like 20 different standards over the years, with the
1858 (yes, 1858) Clark standard still appearing in archival material,
and being used, as recently as 1999.

I have to wonder if New Zealand is faced with similar datum reference
problems as we experience here in Australia.

Ray vk2tv