[aprssig] Raw Packet Questions

Joel Maslak jmaslak-aprs at antelope.net
Thu Sep 27 21:43:47 EDT 2007

On Sep 27, 2007, at 7:00 PM, Dave Sloan wrote:

> Hello all,
>    I just pulled this packet off of findu.com and it was sent 1 min
> ago.
>
> Raw packet: XXXXXX-x>SY0P0Z,RELAY,WIDE2-2,qAo,N9VP:'iXl K\]
> 146.850MHz &
> v-Alert=
>
> I never have gotten very good at reading these raw packets. First
> thing I
> notice is the mobile is using relay. I guess it could be that the
> digi's in
> that area are not using the new paths. Right? Then I think that it
> was N9VP
> that put the packet onto findu. Right? That really confuses me. The
> mobile
> is showing in Maryland just outside of DC and N8VP is located just
> north of
> Philadelphia. I know that there are a lot of Gateways a lot closer.
> What is
> happening here? What is 146.850MHZ telling us? The mobile is using
> v-Alert
> and has a new Kenwood 710. Right?

As for the station that heard it, N9VP heard it direct, it wasn't
repeated.  So if you're talking direct, distance between the station
and gateway doesn't really matter - it might be 7 miles or 70, but at
the speed of light, it's not much difference.  Plus the way the dupe
algorithm works on the IS, it really is pretty much unpredictable.

I can't speak on what kind of radio is sending it.