[aprssig] Re: D-STAR video on YouTube

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Mon Sep 24 03:04:45 EDT 2007

Mark Fellhauer wrote:

> At 11:31 PM 9/23/2007, Andrew Rich wrote:
>
>> Am I missing something with DSTAR.
>>
>> If all you want to do is pass messages, 1200 baud packet is fine.
>>
>> The only advantage I can see with DSTAR is the faster data speed.
>

> And herein lies the problem.   No imagination and stagnation of
> technology.  1200 baud ax.25 packet has been left in the dust in terms
> of spectrum efficiency, weak signal work, and saturation.   The
> promise of D-Star is repeater linking, voice, and data/position info
> all at the same time, in the same package.
>
> Mark
> KC7BXS

Let's not overlook affordability when it comes to adopting new technologies.

For some the sky is the limit and they can afford every new gadget that
comes along.

However, for someone with a family and all the financial committments
that go with it, 1k2 packet is all they can afford, and anyone who says
otherwise is obviously well heeled or devoid of family committmets.

1k2 packet/APRS may be 25 years old but it will remain the only access
point for many for a long time.

Ray vk2tv