[aprssig] Re: D-STAR video on YouTube

Mark Fellhauer sparkfel at qwest.net
Mon Sep 24 03:37:41 EDT 2007

At 12:04 AM 9/24/2007, Ray Wells wrote:

>Let's not overlook affordability when it comes to adopting new technologies.

And we've covered that before.  No new technology would ever come the way
of ham radio if we adopted that as a standard.    I first set foot in the
Phoenix HRO in 1984.  It was 10 years later that I felt I was in the
financial situation to actually buy an HT.    That's life.    You have to
choose what's important.    I've always liked firearms and was raised
around them.  As an adult I didn't actually commit the cash to buying a
pistol until I was assaulted in a parking lot by 4 thugs.  A police office
friend chastised me for being unarmed.  I bought a pistol just like his the
next day.  I started going to the shooting range every Sunday.   That costs
money.

As far as I can tell there is no inexpensive hobby.   One thing about
electronics, when they reach a saturation point the price drops.   Ham
radio prices have been relatively stable when we've seen the prices of
other durable goods increase, and let us not forget the commodities...

Mark
KC7BXS