[aprssig] Re: D-STAR video on YouTube

Mark Fellhauer sparkfel at qwest.net
Mon Sep 24 02:52:10 EDT 2007

At 11:31 PM 9/23/2007, Andrew Rich wrote:
>Am I missing something with DSTAR.
>
>If all you want to do is pass messages, 1200 baud packet is fine.
>
>The only advantage I can see with DSTAR is the faster data speed.

And herein lies the problem.   No imagination and stagnation of
technology.  1200 baud ax.25 packet has been left in the dust in terms of
spectrum efficiency, weak signal work, and saturation.   The promise of
D-Star is repeater linking, voice, and data/position info all at the same
time, in the same package.

Mark
KC7BXS