[aprssig] rotate.aprs2.net

Phillip Pacier ad6nh at arrl.net
Fri Sep 21 13:40:50 EDT 2007

Thanks for your note.  The rotate address has had 20+ addresses in it for
as long as it has been in use, and you are the first person to note a
problem with it.  After doing some research, I cannot find anything about
a limit to the number of addresses that DNS round robin will support - but
I could be wrong.  When I do an nslookup with my Windows machines, it will
only return 8 of the addresses in the list, but I do not see an error
message.

If your APRS software has the ability to put multiple servers in a list,
you really need to do that instead of relying on any of the rotate
addresses.  The limitations of DNS round robin are well documented on the
web, and can cause problems if a server in the list goes down.

We have been discussing setting up regional rotate addresses, which would
diminish the number of servers in each address.  Ideas were along the
lines of usa.aprs2.net, japan.aprs2.net, etc.  Again, the limitations of
round robin will still be present, and the phycial location of your server
to one in your region may not correspond to the IP distance.  I would
appreciate any comments on this subject.

If anyone knows of an actual hard limit in the number of addresses that
can be put into a single DNS round robin address, please let me know!

73
Phil - AD6NH
www.aprs2.net

Chris Kantarjiev