[aprssig] rotate.aprs2.net

Chris Kantarjiev cak at dimebank.com
Fri Sep 21 01:33:59 EDT 2007

I restarted CDRVLY tonight (a WRT54 running OpenWRT linux) and it started
getting "unknown resolver error" when trying to do a DNS lookup
on rotate.aprs2.net ... that was odd. I could look it up just
fine from my laptop and a couple of other systems.

I dug a little deeper, and was startled to see that
there are now 29 addresses returned for this query!

That's great, but ... I'll bet that the problem is a limit
in some embedded resolver along the way, probably not expecting to see
more than 8 or 16 addresses. It might well not be the WRT, but rather
the DNS code on my DSL modem/NAT box (which I don't control).

Am I the only one seeing this problem? Perhaps the Tier2 folks
could scale this back a little? For now, I'm connecting to
rotate.aprs.net, which works, but doesn't seem as friendly.

73 de chris K6DBG