[aprssig] Mobile Packet Range

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Mon Sep 17 10:58:52 EDT 2007

You still can't use it.  Either you pay an exorbitant licensing fee, or
you buy their hardware, or you get sued.

I've got nothing against the AMBE codec.  I just don't think it has a
place in amateur radio.  Check out the manual at
http://www.dvsinc.com/manuals/AMBE-2000_manual.pdf - when was the last
time you used a chip with a full-page, fine-print EULA?

Yes, there are dev kits.  With the SAME chips, enriching the same
company, and you still can't implement the codec yourself.  At least
with something like EVRC-B you can get DSP code, and it's standards-based.

I just can't understand how that black box requirement is acceptable to
hams.  I suppose most hams have just grown to accept that their radios
are full of things they don't understand as they've filled up with DSPs
and FPGAs, but there are plenty of us who DO understand those things,
and anyone can learn the details of how it works and duplicate it
themselves given the time and inclination and a modicum of skill.

The fact that the FCC didn't object surprises me.  The fact that the
ARRL didn't object disappoints me.  Better to ensure there are plenty of
new easy-to-use digital radios on the market to keep up the interest of
the masses than to worry about interoperability and home brewing, I suppose.

Scott
N1VG