[aprssig] Mobile Packet Range

Dave Baxter dave at emv.co.uk
Tue Sep 18 05:31:51 EDT 2007

Hi Scot.

I didn't say that you could legaly use it, just that there is lots of
information there that will *Fix* one issue, "Understanding" it.

For many "Ham's", "Black box" use is all they are (a)licenced to do, or
(b)are capable of.  Unlike you and me, they just do not want to know
what goes on under the hood, they just want to get on air and use it.
If they are happy pay the vendors to do that, then so be it.   Over hear
they are know as appliance opereators.  Sad, but true.

If the "closed" nature of it all realy distresses you that much (and I
appreciate it may do) then go lobby the FCC/ARRL and anyone else who
will listen,  Especialy ICOM America, let them know there is another
"more open" sustem they could use.   Try the oposition (Yeasu, Kenwood
etc) see what their plans may be.  If both of them came out with a
similar system that would work between them, but not D-Star(tm) as it is
now, that might change things in the long term.

Other tack.....   Not that I condone it.
>From the information provided, if the rest of the world went out and
"cloned" the protocol, what would/could they do once the cat is out?

What is the *Exact* history of AMBE (or IMBE for that matter) ?   What
was it's orignal intended use, civil, government or military?

I'm off up-country now to mess with some multiple kW microwave stuff.
If I don't fry myself, I'll be back.

73.

Dave G0WBX.

This mail has been scanned by Palmer Cook Computer Services Limited.  www.palmercook.co.uk