[aprssig] Mobile Packet Range

Dave Baxter dave at emv.co.uk
Mon Sep 17 07:58:10 EDT 2007

Lots of stuff if you follow the links at...

http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=AMBE

Found by googling for AMBE, strangely enough.  Just one of dozens of
hits.

Including as someone said, a source of dev' kits from the makers.  Dunno
how much in $'s though.

With my limited knowledge of such things, there seems to be quite a bit
of information as to how it all works in the patent details.   Someone
will no doubt rev'engineer it in some time, then come up against a wall
of suits no doubt waving writ's at them.

The chances are, that there are some very similar commercial AMBE based
radios about, or soon to be about, "our" D-Star system could be a quick
way for the makers to get them beta-tested world wide, and get some of
the investment back.

I've not seen or heard a D-Star radio yet, but I have played with some
GSM software based codec's, and you can get quite acceptable audio and
low-ish bit rates with them (messing about over networks) but I have no
idea how they would compare to an AMBE based system.

73

Dave G0WBX.

This mail has been scanned by Palmer Cook Computer Services Limited.  www.palmercook.co.uk