[aprssig] Mobile Packet Range

Cap Pennell cap at cruzio.com
Sat Sep 15 17:22:38 EDT 2007

<Trolling?  I'll bite this time.>

> Except perhaps the proprietary Pactor III protocol that unattended
> automatic mailbox systems that clog the HF digital bands use.   The ONLY
> way to interact with these systems is with an nearly 1 kilobuck TNC made
> by one company in Germany that refuses to license the protocol to other
> vendors, let alone to home-brewers or software sound card developers.

But it works very well, and provides the best data transfer rate on HF.  And
hams providing email during disasters can still be viewed as helpful these
days.
Of course on VHF, you know, all we need to provide this service is our plain
old-fashioned 2 meter 1200baud AFSK packet like we already use for APRS.
Easy!