[aprssig] D700A TNC Problems????

Ken H> sailingtoo at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 18:43:03 EDT 2007

I'm not sure how to increase the TXD on the Kenwood D700A from the faceplate
- I think the only way to do that is from a computer with Hyperterminal - I
will try to get my notebook to the garage tonight and see if my serial port
will work with the D700A and I will increase the TXD time.  I read in the
manual *TNC Commands list* the TXDelay has a default of 50 miliseconds and
can be increased to 120 ms.

My question it says the *unit of the parameter is 10 milliseconds - with a
default of 50....  is that *50 milliseconds?  OR 50 times 10 for a total of
500 milliseconds?  Half second seems like a long time for a default?

There is also another command that seems to be related:  AXDelay - specifies
the delay time to be added to the TXDELAY between the PTT ON and start of
transmission.  Default is zero miliseconds.  Is this meant to simply add to
the TXD time?  i.e. if there is 50 in the TXD setting and 20 in the AXD
setting, the effect would be a total of 70 for the time between the PTT ON
and start of transmission?

On the RF from the engine, I had wondered about that myself. To test this, I
stopped with the engine off, ignition switch off and beaconed a couple of
times while only 2 miles or so from W4IAX, and it was still KI4ELU that
digi'd me.

Here I am trying to learn about a new radio AND about APRS at the same time
{grinning}

73 de Ken H> K9FV-1