[aprssig] Lat. / Long. Expressions

Andy Gonzales kg6rwo2 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 15:15:33 EDT 2007

If you use DDD.ddd (degrees and decimal degrees) you are mixing two
different unit "bases" (60 and 10); DDD MM.mm mixes base 60 base 60 and base
10; and DDD MM SS.ss mixes 60 and 60 and 60 and 10.  To simplify computaions
I vote for the simplest approach and use it everywhere DDD.dd.

As to voice 37.3628° Can be spoken   three-seven, decimal, three six two
eight, degrees  or  three seven, degrees, two one, minutes, four five,
decimal,  niner six, secs.   Which is easier and clearer ?