[aprssig] Lat. / Long. Expressions

Jan T. Pharo la2bba at jpharo.net
Sun Sep 9 04:04:01 EDT 2007

"KB5ILY - Travis W. Burton" <kb5ily at arrl.net>, Sun, 9 Sep 2007
02:29:57 -0400 (EDT):

>In doing some online research I find that one website has my local
>hospital's location listed as 34-07-21.3 N, 093-05-25.6 W.  Yet another
>site has it listed as 34.12258  -93.09044.

The first seems to be degrees, minutes, and seconds with decimal
seconds;
the second is degrees and decimal degrees.

>Is one way better or worse than the other, and why ?

Neither, but in APRS (and NMEA), the interchange format is degrees,
minutes, decimal minutes. The above position would then be
34°07.3548' E, 093°05.4264' W

--
73 de Jan, LA2BBA
Hvaler, Norway