[aprssig] Lat. / Long. Expressions

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sun Sep 9 12:49:17 EDT 2007

Agree.  The desired APRS and HAM radio format is degrees and
decimal minutes...  DD MM.hh latitude and DDD MM.hh longitude,
and additional precision is in additional desimal digits beyond
that.

The reason for the standard, is to avoid voice communications
errors when people are communicating positions.  Thanks Bob,
Wb4APR

Pharo
> Sent: Sunday, September 09, 2007 4:04 AM
> To: TAPR APRS Mailing List
> Subject: Re: [aprssig] Lat. / Long. Expressions
>
> "KB5ILY - Travis W. Burton" <kb5ily at arrl.net>, Sun, 9 Sep 2007
> 02:29:57 -0400 (EDT):
>
> >In doing some online research I find that one website has my
local
> >hospital's location listed as 34-07-21.3 N, 093-05-25.6 W.
> Yet another
> >site has it listed as 34.12258  -93.09044.
>
> The first seems to be degrees, minutes, and seconds with
decimal