[aprssig] Re: metrics

Mark Fellhauer sparkfel at qwest.net
Sat Sep 8 15:15:43 EDT 2007

At 05:31 AM 9/8/2007, Steve Dimse wrote:

>On Sep 8, 2007, at 3:58 AM, Mark Fellhauer wrote:
>
>>A circle has 360 degrees because a year is 13 Lunar periods of 28
>>days.
>

>Sorry for prolonging the off-topic thread, but I really hate it when
>people perpetuate erroneous information. Repeat after me, bad data is
>worse than no data at all!

And brevity is the soul of wit, Steve.   I figure if people are really
interested they can do further reading on their own.  What do pilots
say?  "Too much information, kills"

I find it odd that twice in as many days you've told the SIG that I'm wrong
while pedantically and rather wordily reiterating exactly what I said.

First you tell me that the sun is only "technically" a star and only
"technically" a celestial body; totally ignoring the fact that for at least
the last 4000 years our ancestors have mapped starfields to a high degree
of accuracy and used them for navigation and geo-referencing.  And that
they knew the earth was round based on the mapping of those stars.   It was
you who went back to the Egyptians and a well.

I never said the Greeks used a 13 month calendar.  They did have a 360 day
calendar year, which is why we have 360 degrees in a circle.   I pointed
out they did this to simplify the math.
You took like 1000 words to "prove" the same thing I said in 12 words.    I
didn't want to go into a mind-numbing lecture on the subject. And I tried
to point out that WE as western Europeans live in a Greco-Roman-centric
world and tend to give them the credit for inventing our math and
geometry.  And I pointed out this is a mistake, noting the Greeks revered
the Egyptians, while stating in my 1st post that Egyptian ideas were
borrowed from somewhere else.   You had to drag us back to Babylonia.

Again we always credit the Greeks for this kind of stuff.   For example,
they teach kids in school the Pythagorean Theorem.  Pythagoras was
Greek.  Did he really invent the 3-4-5 triangle?   No.   He learned
geometry while in Egypt.   In China they credit some other guy for the
3-4-5 triangle who I think pre-dated Pythagoras by a century.   And please,
Steve, if anyone wants to learn about Gougu, let them do it on their own.

Repeat after me, don't use 1000 words when 12 will suffice.

73,

Mark
KC7BXS