[aprssig] D710 PTT mode (or D700?)

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sun Oct 14 10:49:15 EDT 2007

In addition to the proportional pathing and automatic decay of TX period, the D710 has another neat feature I discovered today..

If you put it in PTT mode, then it will TX the data packet on the ARPS channel even if you are doing PTT on the voice channel.  This means that instead of your APRS packet going out in the middle of a QSO while you are listening on band B with 2 meters, it will wait.

It will only send your posit at the instant you release the PTT no matter which band you are on.

Maybe the D700 does this too.  I never noticed it.  As you saw inthe previous message, I went to PTT mode while on GO-32...

Wait a minute.  It WAS the D700 that did this... shucks, now I am confused.  I did the GO32 pass last night from my van which has the D700 and today from my car using the D710.  Now she has the van, so I cannot confirm an dI cannot remember for sure when I did this.

But anyway, it was a pleasenat surprise to see it do this.

Oh, and if it does this on the D700, then this is a new Great way to cut back on unattended parking-lot-D700 packets.  Just set PTT mode instead of AUTO.  This way, you disappear from ARPS unless you are using your 2-way Ham radio and PTTing now and then.

If you aren't using your ham radio, maybe no one really gives a hoot where you are...  <grin>..

Bob, Wb4APR