[aprssig] Japaneese had invaded Ham Radio

Bill Vodall WA7NWP wa7nwp at gmail.com
Sat Oct 13 16:52:34 EDT 2007

> > Nowadays the TNC no longer needed.there are radios which had TNC inside
> > D700/710/7 or D-star from Kenwood and ICOM.
> > The homebrew don't longer needed.
> > How's about building the TNC/KISS/APRS by our hands?

Our time is too precious to spend it on building commodity items.
Unless, of course, you want to.   TNC's, computers, and even radios
these days are just "bricks" that we use to build useful and
interesting creations.

> One day I'll try to squeeze my MFJ1270 into my Icom IC2A handheld and
> then I'll be up to date :-)

The 20+ year old heath HK-21 is essentially the same TNC-2 as the
MFJ-1270.  It would probably fit in the extended battery case of the
IC2A.  The latest USB TNC's from AGW are much smaller and more
powerful.

Personally I was just considering how things have changed and it's now
possible to build a complete computer into TNC case where before we
were putting the TNC cases into the Computer.

73
Bill - WA7NWP